Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Wonderful Day in the Park




Attempted my first run/hike/slog up at altitude over the weekend (June 19) up in Rocky Mountain National Park. I originally had signed up for the San Juan Solstice this weekend, but the lack of altitude training and long miles under my feet forced me to reconsider that. So I decided to not go to Lake City and do this little loop instead.



I started doing this loop years ago as a prelude to Leadville 100. I have since introduced it to many of my running friends (Scott Olmer, Vince Gerber, et. al.) in the years since. The loop starts at the Long's Peak Trailhead (elev 9404') and heads up the Long's Peak trail towards Chasm Lake. It then cuts to the north on the way to The Boulder Field via Granite Pass. In earlier years I have gone up to the Boulder Field and returned to Granite Pass, but I felt it would be too snowy and wet to do this, so I opted to head down from Granite Pass towards Bear Lake. Over to Bear Lake and back a short distance to the Sprague Lake trail that takes one over Storm Pass, near Estes Cone, and eventually back to the Long's Peak trailhead Ranger Station. 22 miles in length, and two major climbs to 12K and 10K.



The weather was exceptional, although when I woke up early Saturday morning to head up there it was humid and overcast. "Shit!" I thought, as I really wasn't in the mood for yet another crappy, rainy weekend washout. I decided to head on up anyway and make the most of it. By the time I got to the Long's Peak Trailhead, it was clear skies and a bit mild. I was surprised when I got to the trailhead parking lot at 6:00 AM that it wasn't 10% full. I guess it's too early for the Long's Peak crowd.



This training run was going to be my decision maker on whether or not Grand Mesa 100 will be a go/no go. I'm happy to say it's a go, after this run. This being my first time at high altitude all season, I was a bit anxious as to how it will go.



Headed up the trail at a leisurely pace, noticing the abundance of fast moving and relatively full streams. There were bridges over the major players (good thing as it would have been dicey to wade through these monsters). I hit the first snow at around 10,000', with red flags marking the trail over the mound of hardpacked snow. Before I knew it I was at 11K and the field of view opened up all around me, with Long's and Meeker staring me in the face. I was feeling pretty good (yeah, I was going easy here) and managed to pass a number of hikers on the way to Chasm Lake.



After a brief look see here, I took the right turn back on to the trail leading up to Granite Pass. I got around the next hill and spied a significant snow traverse just ahead, about 100 yards wide. By now the sun was softening up the snow so it shouldn't be too tough to cross. After a number of shorter snow crossings and a pretty wet trail (at one point the trail was completely under 6 inches of water) I made my way up to Granite Pass, elev 12,124'. So far, so good.



Talked with a couple of hikers resting at the pass before they headed up to the Boulder Field and The Keyhole. I made my way down the rocky trail towards the valley below. I stopped a few times to catch the view of Long's behind me, as well as Bear Lake and the parking lot down below in the distance. There were some clouds spilling over the north rim of the Park, but nothing came of that.







This trail is really nice: a nice downhill run, not too steep and not too rocky. After about 5.5 miles I started seeing a bit more civilization: hikers, campers, etc. from around the Alberta Falls/Bear Lake area. The lower part of the trail was fairly wet with runoff and springs gushing forth from the ground adjacent to the trail. Some of the trail was underwater, but not like it was way up high earlier. As I was using a Camelback I decided to continue on for half a mile past the Sprague Lake turnoff (and all the tourists blocking the trail taking pictures or totally oblivious to those around them using the trails) and go to the Bear Lake area and refill. Much to my chagrin (but not totally surprised) I found the water source was "Out of Order". I have yet to see this fully operational over the many years I have done this run.



I stopped here anyway to change out of my long sleeve shirt and gloves as it was now getting warm. I has a nice chat with a couple of hikers who were amazed anyone would be stupid enough to do 22 miles in the Park. Just then, a runner came up wearing a Leadville 100 shirt. I asked him if he was training for Leadville. He said not this year, he was training for Hardrock. He told me his name (Roger) and said he was doing two out and backs on the trail segments I just did. He was a bit pissed that the water was turned off. I offered him a suggestion of instead going back up the trail from where he came from, that he use my route, with a stop off at Sprague Lake campground just 3 miles up the trail. I guess I wasn't convincing enough as he said he had tablets to use with all the stream water available.

I spent about 20 minutes eating and taking a break, then it was time to go. The trail to the trail turnoff was a nice downhill. Saw the sign for Sprague Lake and took a left. I had to stop a second as not far after this, there was a fork in the trail (left for the shuttles, right for the trail). For the next few miles it is a very gentle, rolling downhill to the campground. I knew I best do my running here as it will soon be an uphill grind to Storm Pass. Got to the campground turnoff and took a left jog. 3/4 of a mile later I hit the campground. I spent about 30 minutes here eating, refilling my Camelback, using the facilities, etc..



Headed back out the way I came in, hit the trail intersection and made my way up the trail towards Storm Pass. This part always sucks: all uphill, some steep sections, and heavily treed. This is perfect Leadville training as it so reminds me of the north side ascent of Hope Pass (just not as high but just as long). I was starting to feel the day on me and stopped a number of times to catch a breath or take a moment to pull out something to eat. Thank God for my GPS as it told me I was getting closer and closer to the the pass ahead. I had to rely on distance here alone as the trees were dense enough to prevent a 3-satellite lock to get a decent altitude reading. My altitude was stuck on 8952' for a LONG time, but the distance was still increasing (only needs two satellites for a distance fix).



Got to the top of Storm Pass, elev 10,179'. Now it was a steep, rocky descent out of there back to the Long's Peak trailhead. After the descent, it was a series of ups and downs. Hit the intersection of the trail that takes one down to the ranger station or back up to Chasm. A nice 3/4 mile descent back to the car.

While not a PR (6:50) from earlier attempts, my time of 7:43 was good nonetheless.

I was tired, but none the worse for wear and not sore.

I'm ready for more. Looks like Grand Mesa is a go. This upcoming weekend will be another high altitude romp, just haven't totally decided where yet: Loveland Pass to Grizzly Peak and around, or Greys/Torreys Peaks.

No comments: