Friday, May 14, 2010

Summer and Fall Racing Plans



With Collegiate Peaks now out of the way, time to start hunkering down and getting in some training for the upcoming summer/fall slugfest.

Unfortunately, the weather of late has not been kind....11 inches of Global Warming dumped on our doorstep last Wednesday (May 12) doesn't help. The good news, a massive warmup is just around the corner and will hopefully harbor good training in the coming weeks ahead.

I'm taking Monday, May 17 off to, well, celebrate 53 years of existence on Earth. Since the weather is going to be stellar on this hallowed day, I'd thought I would try to get in my age (or close to it) in kilometers on a run. I think a jaunt up to Devil's Backbone/Blue Sky Trail in Loveland/Ft Fun is in order. I asked my running buddy Vince "666" Gerber to join me.

So what's in store for me, in pain, misery and suffering this summer?



The San Juan Solstice, formally known as Lake City 50, has drawn me back for a third time. This is truly a scenic and tough run. Three major kickass climbs: the first one hits you after a few miles of road, then about a dozen stream crossings (ranging from minor to major) with a huge climb up to 13,000'. Then a nice descent to the valley below, then another climb up to 12,000'+ to the Continental Divide. From here you meander along the Divide for 11 miles and 12,000' before heading back down to a gully, followed by one last climb up to 11,000' through a dense aspen forest. Then a nice steep descent back to Lake City. The first year I did this it rained right after I got off of the Divide which provided slick mud to run/slog through. The second time it was bone dry and hot, little snow on the Divide to get through. What will this year bring? Hopefully not last year's blizzard that caught many runners unprepared for the wind, cold and heavy snow.



Haven't decided on the Leadville Marathon, but will do so before the end of the month. This is a tough run which takes you up to 13,100' (Mosquito Pass). Good trail and altitude training.



No, I'm not running Badwater this year, but will be crewing and pacing running friend Paul Grimm. This will be my third year there as a crew/pacer role. You can read my earlier post on Badwater here.



Grand Mesa 100 is a new 100 miler in the Grand Mesa area of Colorado. It looks to be a very low-key, scenic event. Having decided against dong a repeat of Leanhorse this year, and since Leadville 100 is not in the game plan this year, I'd thought I'd give this one a whirl. It looks to be a very interesting event.



Yep, another romp in the desert, this time in mid-October to accompany the full moon. This promises to be a hot one, as in years past held during this time. This will be my 8th visit there, for hopefully a 7th finish. Master Slacker "666" Gerber will also be there. I wish he'd quit following me around.



I'll be back to Oklahoma on Route 66 in mid-November for what will probably be the last installment of the Route 66 in Oklahoma - Motherroad III. Last time (Motherroad II in 2008) was an adventure, got lost and barely made it in for the final cutoff. Hopefully I won't be that close at the end. That was not fun. Unlike last time, I plan on having a crew there. I only made it last year due to the good graces of other crews help and assistance.



I made it through the lottery process (a first for me) for Across The Years. I had the choice of 3 venues, so I picked the 48 hour run starting on Dec 30 or Dec 29, and the 24 hour starting Dec 31. I got my first pick, so we'll see how the 48 hour goes for me. Last time I was there, I tried for 72 hours and had to deal with sore quads on day 2 and 3, only ending up doing 154 miles total, with lots of sleep and massage sessions during those last two days. Hopefully 48 hours will go better on me than 72 hours.

There may be some others that get my attention (Silverton 24 hour, et. al.) but I'll have to wait and see how things unfold during the summer/fall.

No comments: