Monday, September 7, 2009

It Sucks to be Me at Lean Horse 100



So I took another stab at Lean Horse 100. I ended up getting 50% more done this year than last. Unfortunately, 76 miles doesn’t cut the mustard. I ended up dropping out at 76 miles and 21 hours of running. I wish I could say I was injured, sick, or otherwise incapacitated, but I’d be lying. I dropped out of sheer opportunity. Sucks to be me.

I drove up to Hot Springs, SD on Friday with a co-worker of Pat Homelvig at Google, Dale Hawkins. Dale was eager to get a 100 mile finish in with this race, which he managed to do quite well. This was his first 100 mile finish. We got up to Hot Springs around 1:00 PM. Dale needed to find some Starbucks in a can for the night portion of the run. We stopped at one grocery store, Dakotamart, and the clerks there thought we were from Mars. “Starbucks, in a CAN? Whaaa?” So we decided to head over to the check in at the Mueller Center and pick up our race packets. We asked the nice volunteers there if they knew of another store in town that might have what Dale was looking for. They suggested Sonny’s. After milling around a bit we decided to try to get a few last minute things at the store, check into the hotel and get back for the 3 PM race briefing.

Dale didn’t have any luck with the can Starbucks, but found some in a glass jar. That will have to do. Checked in, relaxed a bit, and then headed back for the briefing and pre-race food. We got there and saw the usual gang of suspects. I saw Matt and Anne Watts, Joe Judd from Salida, Ulli Kamm, among others. Listened to Jerry’s talk about the race. Pretty much the same as last year. There are cutoffs at the inbound legs of the course, but not really enforced. There would be ice out there (nice, as it was hot). Dale and I went back to the check in area after the talk, milling around and talking, when dinner was served was announced. Grabbed a table and ate. Matt, Anne, David Hughes from Indiana joined us, Long Vu from Oklahoma. When I was done, I looked up and saw James Mercer from St Louis, so I decided to go say hi to him and his wife Vicki. Talked with them a bit, then it was time to leave.

Relaxed at the hotel, and got to sleep around 9:30 PM. Woke up in plenty of time to get put together and meet Dale for breakfast in the lobby around 4:20 AM. Met Darwin from Canada, doing his first 100. Saw Long Vu as well. Dale and I checked out and left for the race around 5:20 AM. Got to the start and hardly anybody was there. Checked in, and sat around waiting for others to show up. I saw James and Vicki come in, so I went over and chatted with them for a bit. Before long it was time to line up outside for the start. With a 10 second count down and the word “GO!” we were all off for the start of a long and hopefully successful journey this weekend.

Dale and I were running together for about the first mile or so, trying to keep the pace reasonable. As soon as we were out of town and the road turned to dirt, Dale picked it up a bit and I said “Good luck”. I wanted to take it easy for at least the first 16 miles. The road consists of series of many ups and downs, some major, some not so. Last year I did the first 16.5 miles in 3:07, and felt increasingly tired as the first 50 miles went on. This year I wanted to do the road in 3:30, and feel relaxed and not overdo it. This meant I was going to walk the hills. I was already getting warmed up and feeling the morning heat by the time I got to the first aid station, Coldbrook, mile 4 in 43:29. So far right on target.
After Coldbrook, you head across a meadow for about ¾ of a mile, which connects us with the Argyle Road and a right turn. From here to the next aid station, it is a pretty hilly stretch of road. I walked the uphills. It was in here I met up with a running buddy from Rocky Raccoon, Charlie Leonard from NY. He was running with a gal from New Jersey, Jenny. We talked a bit and before we knew it, we were at the Morph aid station, mile 10.7. I got here in 2:05, so my plan on making it to the Argyle aid station in 3.5 hours was looking fine. Filled a bottle and grabbed a coke and left. Soon Charlie caught up with me, but I ended up letting him go as he was running more of the hills than I wanted. From here, it was a lot of ups and downs, walking the ups, and running the flats and downs. I spied the Argyle aid station ahead, at the top of a lengthy hill. I ended up getting here in 3:15. I spent about 5 minutes changing into a lighter shirt, filled up my bottles, and grabbed some food and left.

It was starting to get hot by now, and my stomach was feeling a bit uneasy. It was here I decided to just stick with water for the time being. I wouldn’t use any of my energy mix until sundown. Surprisingly, I started feeling fine again, and got to the Lime Kiln aid station and 21 miles. It took 45 minutes to go the 4 miles from Argyle. I walked and ran with a mix of 4 minutes running and 1 minute walking. I grabbed some fruit and stuck it in my pack, refilled a bottle with ice water, and left. The next 4 miles to Pringle aid station was fairly downhill and I ran most of it. I got to Pringle in 59 minutes, with a total time of 5:05. Still on target. It was here I decided to spend a bit of time and grab stuff for the hot afternoon: ice hat, ice bandana, food, water, coke. As I was coming in, I met up with Phil Rosenstein. He was in walk mode. By the time I was finished taking care of my needs, Phil was walking out as well. We decided to stick with each other for a bit and see how it goes.

The next section between Pringle and Carroll Creek (mile 31) is fairly long. I erred in not bringing an extra bottle for this stretch. Luckily, Phil and I ran into a crew along the highway next to the trail, and we asked them if they had any extra water to spare. They did, which saved my bacon. By the time I got to Carroll Creek I was nearly out. Phil and I did a lot of talking, mostly about Badwater and his thoughts on crewing, running the race, etc. and I found the talk great and most of all, the time went by quickly. We had caught up to two Canadian gals who were stopped by the side of the trail, and Phil wanted to stick with them for a bit as our power walking was a bit too brisk and he wanted to take it easy for awhile. So I pushed on ahead, power walking out 12 minute miles on a fairly easy stretch of trail. Before long, Carroll Creek aid station was just ahead. It was now 6:57 into the race, and it was quite hot. Phil and the girls from Canada caught up with me as I was walking into the aid station. I got my hat and bandana refilled with ice, as well as iced water for my bottles. I sucked down a couple of cokes, and grabbed more grapes to stick in my pack and nibble on the way. I did manage to gulp down an entire PB&J sandwich and more water to wash it down.

I waited a few seconds for Phil to walk out with me. I loaded up on water and food at Carroll Creek, as this was another 6 mile stretch until Custer. Phil and I did a nice power walk, and even managed to run some of the downhills. Phil wanted to spend some time at the next aid station, so he wanted to run ahead while I walked. It was pretty hot out and the sun was beating down on me, so I stuck with my plan and walked most of the remaining 2 miles until Custer. I did jog some of the trail, as it was a mellow downhill and pretty even. I kept Phil in my sights. I got to Harbach Park in Custer, mile 37, in 8:33. Phil was already taking a breather and eating and drinking. I refilled my hat and bandana with ice, more ice water in the bottles, more food. I again grabbed more fruit to stick in my pack. Soon it was time to go. I headed out with Phil, and about 100 yards out I realized I left my ice hat on the table back at Custer. I ran back and got it, and ran back to Phil. It was nice to run, but even nicer to walk with Phil. The next stretch is more shaded, and is only 5 miles. Phil and I walked and ran off and on until the next aid station, Mountain Aid, at mile 42. It took us 9:55 to get here (1:21 for this segment).

Again, the usual routine, and after spending about 5 minutes it was time to leave. It was another 1.5 of an uphill towards Crazy Horse, and then a nice 3.5 mile descent to the next aid station at mile 47. Phil took off running the downhill, and I ran as well but as it was still hot I decided to jog it. Towards the bottom of the hill, I caught up with James Mercer from St Louis, he was walking and limping. I walked with him for about 5 minutes, and after suggesting he should continue on, I decided to leave and run the rest of the way to the aid station. He was in good spirits, but his knee was hurting and he said he was coming off dehydration. I knew his wife Vicki was ahead at the next aid station so he was going to be in good hands. This was the last I saw of James, as I assumed he dropped at the next aid station.

I got to mile 47 aid, grabbed some water and food and left fairly quickly. Pretty soon, I reached the Turnaround aid station, mile 49, in 11:55. I quickly refilled a bottle and left for the 1 mile turnaround ahead signaling halfway. I got there in 12:09. I got back to Turnaround and spent about 20 minutes here taking care of various stuff: I wanted to change shoes. My feet were starting to hurt and there were hot spots developing. As I massaged my feet, and put on a new pair of shoes, they felt a lot better. I also refilled my pack, ditched my ice bandana as I wouldn’t need it now. Relubed under the shorts to take care of some minor chafing. I refilled my bottles, one with mix and the other with water, ate a sandwich and decided it was time to leave. From here on it would be more miles here than previous the year. I was happy my stomach was feeling fine, and despite my feet and knees hurting, I started running more. I ran pretty much to the base of the 3.5 mile hill climb up to Crazy Horse. I had to pull out the flashlight about ½ mile from the Crazy Horse road. I finally got to Mountain aid station in a time of 15:03. I took a few minutes to eat, rest, and refill bottles. I ended up only spending about 3 minutes here, and left.

It was dark now and I was using the lights from runners ahead to pull me along. I jogged the bulk of it, as it felt much easier and better on my feet to run rather than walk. It wasn’t fast (about 12-13 minute miles) but I was making progress. I did manage to pass a few runners who were walking. This made me feel pretty good. I got to Harbach Aid station in 16:49, feeling rather tired and almost ready to drop. I got into my drop bag and sucked down a Starbucks. Grabbed some food and just sat there and ate. I came pretty close to dropping. Jerry Dunn, the RD, came into the aid station saying he was leaving in about 10 minutes. It took all I had to walk out of there and continue on.

After about a few minutes, I started feeling better and jogged more and more. Again I used the lights of runners ahead to pull me along, and again I passed some runners walking. Soon, I got to Carroll Creek, in 18:42. By now they had grilled cheese sandwiches nice and hot to eat. I grabbed two halves, ate one on the go and put the other in my pack to eat later. I left here in short order. Between here and Pringle aid station, mile 76, I started to feel more and more tired and sleepy. The Starbucks was wearing off, and I was faced with the impending crash of caffeine. I found myself weaving on the trail, half asleep. I finally got to Pringle in 21 hours, 3 AM (cutoff time). I asked the kind person at the aid station if I decided to drop here, how long to get a ride out. He told me quite a while as a guy left some minutes ago with runners. So I decided to get my drop bag and get some things out (Starbucks, mix, a warmer shirt) when a guy walks in saying he has room for one more runner as he is going back to town. I was screwed! I took him up on his offer.

This was a pretty bad decision on my part. I had plenty of time to finish. I figured about 2 hours to Argyle aid station (5 AM) and 16 miles more for a finish, probably in around 28 hours. The caffeine crash was horrendous, and I had a hard time focusing on the task at hand. If that guy would have been 5 minutes earlier or later, I would have been continuing on and probably a finish. Who knows? It was my own fault to quit, and I could have continued on.

Well, I was hoping not to “HAVE” to come back after this year, but it looks like that isn’t going to happen. I’ll be back, but it won’t be next year as I have other fish to fry next summer, and Lean Horse isn’t on my plan.
I will be back.

1 comment:

Dale Hawkins said...

It was brutally hot this year. This certainly didn't help anyone's chances of finishing. Also, FWIW, I would have been hard pressed to resist a ride in the morning myself.