Friday, July 17, 2009



Well, if at first you don't succeed.........have a beer!

After last year's 50% completion of my Fall Mini-Slam (DNF'd Lean Horse and Javelina), I decided that I would like to give it another whirl, but with a change. Since Motherroad is not offered this year, I would have to substitute another for a retry at a back-to-back 100 mile attempt. So like last year, I'm going to start it all off with Lean Horse in August, then Heartland 100 in early October, Javelina in late October and a new 100 miler in Missouri called The Ozark 100 the following weekend.



I have been intrigued by Lean Horse since it started a few years ago, but it conflicted with the Leadville 100. This year, it is on the same weekend, and since I was unable to get the second half done last year, it's time to "Get my mind right" and get it done this year. Since I now know what happened to me last year, I have since (hopefully) corrected the stomach issue and should be able to get this one done. The course is mostly on the Mickelson Trail in SD, a “trails-to-rails” project that is a gradual up to the 50 mile turnaround and back to the start in Hot Springs, SD. The first and last 13 miles are on a rolling, meandering dirt road. Hopefully this year, I'll have my head out of my ass and not overdo it with the calories, which was the reason for my stomach issues last year. It seems my training of late has had no complications, so time to "Git 'er Dun!". Unfortunately, I will be missing Leadville this year. The first time in 13 years I haven't been up there in a running or crew/pacer capacity. My good friend Bob Rayburn will be there running it this year, so I'm bummed I can't help him there.



Heartland, Oct 10-11, is an old favorite. This will be my fourth time there, and I always love the support and venue. Having grown up in the area as a lad also brings to me a special appeal. I ran it last year and ended up listing to the starboard side towards the end. Only after consuming some of Bad Ben's Homebrew (TM) did it fix that up somewhat. Though it wasn't my fastest time (slowest in fact) it was still a good time. I got to see some of the hilly parts of the course on the way back during the early sunrise bits, which normally were shrouded in darkness. Gawd, those hills are long! And who sez Kansas is flat?



Javelina Jundred, Oct 31 and Nov 1 (Halloween). Last year this was the last race in my series, and ended up going out there with a cold from Motherroad II the previous weekend (thank you Oklahoma!) and having to bail out after 70 miles. Congestion and breathing don't get along too well. My first DNF there. This year will be my 7th visit, and hopefully my 6th finish there. My race plan for this is simple: run easy, run slow, and have fun. So, no PR’s or visions of great times are in my strategy here. Like last year, I will try to save myself for two weekends, since the next race is.....



.....Ozark 100, Nov 7-8. This is a totally new 100 put on by my favorite group of runners, the SLUGs (St Louis Ultrarunning Group). The cutoff time is 32 hours, so a bit more time than conventional 100 time limits of 30 hours. I've run in Missouri before, but not in the Ozarks. They are hilly, but nothing like Leadville, Wasatch, or Hardrock. I'm looking forward to something new. Like Javelina the week before, I plan on going slow and easy and just finish. I don't want a repeat of last year. I'm counting on not getting a cold at Javelina (it'll be hot and dry there) so all I have to do is hang in there. Javelina would have been number 6 if not for the breathing issues. My legs were fine and able to continue. I'm hoping that will be the case here as well.

2 comments:

Slacker said...

All right Dale! We slackers can always count on you for some great entertainment. Hell, why should we get off the couch when can laugh our asses off watching a masochist like you suffer through four gruelling 100 milers! Oh yeah!, let me grab a cold beer and settle back for the show!

Dana said...

Dale, I wish you the best in completing your Fun Filled Fall Four, FFFF. I'll follow your progress on the Rantings and Ramblings of a Bigfooted Ultrarunner. Don't forget to buy a huge trophy so that you can give it to yourself when you are done.