Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ready To Go!



Well, one more day until I arrive in Death Valley and get ready to roll through the Desert on my two big feet. Starting to get antsy about all of this, but that's normal for any ultra.

I got a last minute pre-race massage last night, and everything is fine in that regard. Believe it or not, I got all my stuff packed into two suitcases and a backpack (carry on). One last thing to do before heading home this afternoon.

I'm meeting Vince at the Loveland Park and Ride bright and early tomorrow AM to meet our 7:15 flight to Vegas. I contacted Ken Grimm, already on his way out there via car, to meet us in Pahrump. Either myself, Vince or Paul will ride to DV with Ken to avoid a possible California traffic violation of not having one person in a seat with a seatbelt.

Saw the latest update on Mt Whitney conditions: looks like the snow is melting fast and the trail along the switchback section is now passable on well-worn snow. I expect most of that will be gone by the time we make our ascent to the summit on Tuesday.

Looking at the weather forecast for DV it looks to be a little cooler: only 110 degrees on the first day, and mid- to upper-80's on day 2. Mostly clear skies, little wind and no precip. Looks rather ideal for a DV run in July.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

phantom said...

Good Luck, Dale!!!!!!!!!!

Moondoggy Dyatt said...

Dale - Nice blog! Scary about the fire. How'd Whitney go?
I'm the annoying irish guy from C2M the first year when you twisted your ankle. Drop me a line at ultrarunirishman at gmaildotcom. I'd like to pick your brain about Heartland.
Two Moondoggy Dean