Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Heartland 100 This Weekend


Just a few days away and I'll be on the road to Kansas for my fourth visit to Heartland. Looks like the weather will be sunny, but cool and cold. Highs in the mid to upper 50's, and overnight lows in the low to mid 30's. According to Randy Albrecht, the RD, Heartland has the highest finishing rates when it is cold. My goal there this year is to avoid the usual nightly hangout at the aid stations. While the aid station tents will undoubtedly be heated, it's the hot-to-cold contrast when walking out that will be a killer. I plan on making my visits short and sweet.

Hopefully the cold won't affect my asthma too much, but I'll be bundled up and have my face wrap to keep the cold at bay. Also looking forward to a beer at the Mirage Aid Station (mile 95) to numb things up a bit as well.

Of course, the pre- and post-race feeds are to die for. As well as during the race at the various aid stations too. Those Ridgeline Prairie Power Pellets (TM) are wonderful on the way back.

Race report next week.

1 comment:

Slacker said...

I can see the local Cassoday headlines now: "Sasquatch Spotted in the Heartland!" "Big Foot Roams the Flint Hills of Kansas!" "It's Big! It's Hairy! It's Ugly! And, Man, Oh Man, Can It Run!"
Best of luck Dale, kick ass out there!